Wednesday, April 19, 2017

Goodbye Belly Ring

Besides "Do you think you're having a boy or a girl?" and "How are you feeling?" the third most-asked question thrown at me lately is "When are you taking that out?" Not the baby -- they're referring to my belly ring of course.



All along I've told people I would take it out at 20 weeks (when the baby is a banana) -- but with that milestone now just 3 days away, I'm finding myself getting nostalgic about the whole thing.

In a way taking my belly ring out is proof that my body is no longer my own. And as much as I'd like to think I can pop it back in as soon as I pop the baby out, I know deep down that's probably not going to happen.

The beach this summer is when I'll notice it missing the most and after having it around for 6 years it will be bittersweet for sure. Of course I can't wait to show off my growing baby bump but at the same time I'm not going to have that "summer bod" I usually work at year-round. Little did I know Summer 2016 was going to be my last one pre-baby and last one where I get to hang a cherry, an anchor or sparkly blue jewel from my mid-section. (Okay, maybe I am getting too old for this thing.)



And I'm sure there will be questions from the girls about this missing item as there were many questions the first time they saw me in a bikini.

Marissa: "What's that?"
Me: "My belly button ring."
Marissa: "Oh."

**5 minutes later**

Marissa: "What's that?"
Me: "My belly button ring. Like an earring for your belly button."
Marissa: "Oh... don't let your belly button ring touch me."
Me: "Okay?"


Even though it'll be sad to take the ring out on Saturday, it comes with the territory of becoming a mom of 3 at 24... And the mom title is something I am ready to fully embrace!

No comments:

Post a Comment