Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Meet Marissa


Yesterday was World Down Syndrome Day and several related posts popped up on my Facebook feed as they do every year on March 21. I thought about posting about my soon-to-be step-daughter, Marissa as I had done in years past. I attempted to write about her hilarious personality... her recent accomplishments - reading and comprehending book after book and with inflection... her sweetness - like wanting to kiss the baby in my belly... but I was at a loss for words (and couldn't decide on a picture). And that's because no picture or post could possibly begin to describe the incredible girl that she is.


When I first met her dad, she surprised me so much with all she was already capable of at age 6 and the almost 9-year-old continues to prove herself not just on WDSD but each and every day. I cannot wait for her to truly experience being a "big" sister to the new baby as she is just 22 months older than her sister, Emma.



Another thing - I can't wait for the baby to look up to Marissa... I know I do.



P.S. since it is currently Lent and the annual 40 Days for Life campaign is underway, take a few minutes to watch this short video on what people with Down Syndrome can do... spoiler alert: they can do ANYTHING they put their mind to!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment