Wednesday, August 8, 2018

5 Things To Do While Pumping

Breastfeeding your baby is a truly special gift you can give your little one. I always planned to do it and my goal was 6 months. 6 months because before I gave birth I thought nursing would feel awkward and foreign - but it came naturally to me and I am still successfully nursing my 10-month-old (practically 1-year-old) son. I never realized what a special bonding time nursing would provide for us and moved my finish line back a bit to the recommended 12 months. I already know I’m going to miss it.

BUT what I will not miss is pumping. Pumping every night before bed. Waking up to pump in the middle of the night. Pumping before work. Pumping in my little utility closet at work. Hasta la vista  to the numbers game I play every day to make sure Anthony has enough milk while I’m at work and good riddance to the torture device I willingly hook up to my nips every day. Pumping is an act of pure love.

And let me tell you after pumping just about every day since December 5 when I returned back to work I am STILL no expert. I see FB posts and other blogs talking about a “supply” of milk. A dozen or so bags, enough ounces to last the entire week- that is not me. So don’t get yourself too stressed out if you can’t compete with that kind of pumping because I never could and it’s been stressful but doable to pump for what your baby is going to need for the next day.

So while I don’t have many tips/tricks for increasing supply or pumping strategies to build up a reserve (sorry I wish I did)... I do have a few go-to activities to do while pumping.

1.) Take a walk down memory lane:

I know you have a zillion photos of your baby boy or girl so scroll away! I also know you’re missing them right now if you’re at work. Look at how much they’ve grown and how they have changed since they were first born. Seeing their little face and watching videos of them, especially ones where  they’re crying may even help with your milk let down.

2.) Blog:

You have 20+ minutes by yourself so why not make the most of it by blogging. And if you blog about kids/parenting/family like I do then you should have no shortage of inspiration. I’m pumping right now myself as I type this — let your ideas flow just like your milk 😂

3.) Write a letter to your baby:

Being a working mama is tough because I miss my baby so much and it’s definitely a big adjustment after maternity leave. Some moms even feel guilty that they have to leave their baby in the care of someone else. Write down how you feel in a letter to your baby. You can even include it in their baby book and when they’re older they can read how much you were missing them.

4.) Read a book

Isn’t that a novel idea 🙃 Put the phone down and read a book - a real paperback! You may be in a little utility closet or empty meeting room but you can escape to a more exciting place in the pages of a good book. Plus, reading always relaxes me which is also good for let down.

5.) Eat chocolate

You may be dreading hooking the pump up but there’s honestly no better encouragement than chocolate. Hit the vending machine and reward yourself for this amazing, selfless gift you are giving to help nurture your child. Indulge - you’ve earned it!

Pumping mamas, remember to take things one day at a time! You are doing a great job 💪🏻 And your baby is gonna be hella smart because of all your hard work!

And non-pumping/nursing mamas breast is not always best! It depends on you and your baby only! You are providing a great life for your little one and rocking your mom life!

No comments:

Post a Comment